Cleaning & Disinfecting, In The News

All-Purpose Cleaning Supplies that are Safe for Your Pets and Kids

A young girl sits on the floor petting a black and brown dog. Two adults sit cozily on a couch behind her.

These days, cleaning products are an indispensable part of maintaining hygiene and cleanliness in our homes. Most people have multiple cleaning products under their sink or in their laundry room. It’s part of modern life. However, despite the convenience they offer, there is a more sinister side of cleaning sprays that poses significant dangers to the vulnerable members of our households, our children and pets. The harmful effects of certain cleaning products, plus the residues they leave behind, present a concerning scenario that demands our attention and awareness.

Are Cleaning Products Bad for Kids and Pets?

The short answer is: yes.

Numerous cleaning products contain a cocktail of toxic chemicals that can have adverse health effects, especially on children and pets. The most common chemical compounds such as ammonia, bleach, and quaternary ammoniums (quats) can cause significant health issues from allergic reactions to severe poisoning when ingested. Even certain fragrance additives can trigger allergies or irritate skin or the respiratory system. Children and pets are particularly susceptible to accidental ingestion or exposure to these chemicals due to their exploratory natures and lack of understanding of the risks. The consequences can range from mild discomfort to life-threatening situations, underscoring the urgent need for caution and proper storage of cleaning products.

Cleaning Sprays Can Leave Chemical Residue on Surfaces

Beyond concerns about direct contact with a cleaning spray or the ingestion of the product, the residue left behind by cleaning products can also be hazardous. Many cleaning agents are not rinsed away, especially when not used properly, resulting in a lingering residue on surfaces. Pets and small children, who often come into direct contact with floors and surfaces, are at risk of absorbing these residues through their skin or oral contact. Over time, the accumulation of such residues can lead to chronic health problems. For instance, animals may develop skin irritations, gastrointestinal distress, or respiratory issues. Prolonged exposure to cleaning product residues can disrupt children’s delicate developmental processes and potentially lead to long-term health complications.

In addition, the allure of brightly colored packaging and pleasant fragrances in cleaning products can inadvertently attract the attention of curious children and pets. Innocent exploration may quickly become a dangerous encounter. Children might mistake colorful liquids for beverages, or pets might be enticed to lick surfaces coated with appealing scents. Such accidental encounters can have dire consequences, with the potential for severe poisoning or internal injuries.

Pet and Kid-Safe All-Purpose Cleaning Products DO Exist

Fortunately, addressing the safety concerns for children and animals and keeping a clean house are not mutually exclusive! The issues necessitate both awareness and responsible product usage, as well as sourcing non-toxic cleaning options. Parents and pet owners should make informed choices when selecting cleaning products, opting for those labeled as child and pet-safe, non-toxic, and biodegradable. Even with family-friendly cleaners, it’s best to practice proper storage, out of reach from young hands and paws, to prevent unintentional exposure. Adopting natural cleaning practices can significantly mitigate the risks associated with traditional chemical-laden products.

Finding an all-natural cleaning product that is safe for the vulnerable people and pets in your home and also does a great job cleaning is not impossible. Pathosans’ All-Purpose Cleaner is a 100% all-natural cleaning spray that is safe for use on countertops, glass and mirrors, stainless steel, and more! With no toxic additives or synthetic fragrances, it is kid-safe and pet-safe. Plus, it leaves no chemical residue.

Make the Switch to Safer All-Purpose Cleaning Products

Switching to a safer all-purpose cleaner shields vulnerable children and pets from the dangers posed by cleaning products. The harmful effects of toxic chemicals and the residues they leave behind can lead to a range of health complications. Avoiding effects ranging from mild irritations to severe poisoning, replacing as many traditional cleaning products as possible with a safer, equally effective alternative, is smart. By raising awareness about the dangers “hiding under your sink”, we can safeguard the well-being of our most vulnerable loved ones. Choosing safer products and employing natural cleaning alternatives are important steps toward creating a safer and healthier environment for both children and pets in our homes.